Our co-founder Catherine McCord answered customer-submitted questions One Potato Instagram about smoothies and how to make them healthy and nutritious for your family.
Watch the video HERE, read a few of Catherine’s answers below, and keep scrolling for an exclusive recipe, a yummy Vanilla Cinnamon Date Smoothie.
What’s an easy way to meal-prep smoothie ingredients?
One Potato’s frozen smoothie packets are an easy way to drink smoothies without having to worry about prepping them! Each packet makes one 14-16 oz. adult smoothie or two kid-size servings.
If you’re not in one of the nine states we deliver to, smoothies are easy to meal prep. Line up all your ingredients (frozen fruit, nut butter, powders, etc.) and fill a Stasher bag or mason jar. Close up and throw in the freezer. Smoothie packets will last in your freezer for up to four months.
Pull one out when you’re ready for a smoothie. Dump the packet in the blender, add your choice of milk, blend, and enjoy!
My kiddos only drink smoothies if there’s juice in it! Help!
Here’s a great tip for that. Go ahead and make that smoothie with fruit on day 1. On day 2, use 3/4 juice and the rest water or your choice of milk. Keep making that amount smaller and smaller until they start to adjust their tastes.
How can I boost my smoothie to add more protein and other nutrients?
Here’s a few of our favorite ways to superboost our smoothies:
- Collagen Peptides – They are low in calories and high in protein to keep you full longer. And they’re great for hair, skin, and nails.
- Greens Powder – It’s an added boost of nutrients and micro-nutrients and a great way to add in more greens to your diet.
- Bee Pollen – It’s an immunity booster, high in protein, and great for seasonal allergies.
- Chia Seeds – High in protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and tons of fiber to keep our digestive systems moving.
- Raw Brazil Nut – If you’re a vegetarian, brazil nuts have selenium, which can be hard for vegetarians to get. One brazil nut has your daily recommended amount of selenium.
Vanilla Cinnamon Date Shake
This Vanilla Cinnamon Date Shake is full of my favorite flavors and is also quite healthy.
The secret ingredient is frozen cauliflower which makes this smoothie super creamy, and also adds a boost of Folate, Potassium, and Vitamin C! What do you think of the mega date flavor in this smoothie?!
Vanilla Cinnamon Date Smoothie
- 2 frozen bananas
- 3/4 cup frozen cauliflower
- 3 dates
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 2 tsp flax seeds
- 1 1/2 cup milk of choice
- Place ingredients in blender and puree until smooth.