There are days, plenty of them in fact, where we just want a delicious dinner to appear before our eyes, requiring as little work as possible. This Chicken Tortilla Soup is the answer to our wish. With just a little bit of effort on your part, you’re able to get this flavorful soup on the table for your family without spending hours in the kitchen preparing it.
And who doesn’t like tortilla chips? When we put the kids’ bowls of soup in front of them with some tortilla chips on the side, their eyes light up. They love that we let them use their hands to break up the chips to sprinkle on top of the soup and then stir them in, making dinner not only an interactive experience but a super fun one at that!
Chicken Tortilla Soup will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for about 5 days and in your freezer for about 6 months so you can enjoy it whenever you want! And if you want to save a little time, you can buy a store-bought rotisserie chicken to get this on the table even faster!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 green or red bell pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 32 oz box, chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 15 oz can, diced tomatoes
- 1 lb chicken breast, bonless and skinless
- 1 lime, juiced
- Crushed tortilla chips
- In a large pot, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil and sauté the onions and salt for 3 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers, garlic clove, and cumin and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and remaining ingredients (except for the lime juice & tortilla chips). Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- After 10-15 minutes (depending on the size of your chicken breasts) remove the chicken from the pot and shred, using a fork. Place the shredded chicken back into the pot with the lime juice and simmer for another 3-4 minutes or until chicken is heated though.
- Remove bay leaf, pour soup into bowls, and top with crushed tortilla chips for everyone to stir in on their own. Serve with desired toppings on the side.
- Shredded Monterey jack, Mexican cheese blend, avocado, sour cream, cilantro, diced green onion