When you have three kids under the age of five, it’s all about fast and fun recipes! A simple recipe doesn’t have to be boring. In fact, there are so many fabulous simple recipe ideas that only involve a few ingredients and steps to make.
Our co-founder, Catherine, was inspired by a picture her friend sent me of her brood devouring frozen bananas on a stick with huge smiles on their faces. It reminded her of one of her own childhood favorites and she couldn’t help but take the treat one step further and coat them with a drizzle of chocolate and a few toppings before freezing.
Just a little chocolate and yummy extras go a long way toward creating a truly heavenly treat. If you’re looking for an inexpensive after-school or camp snack, these frozen bananas on a stick are a total crowd pleaser!
Frozen Bananas on a Stick
Bananas on a Stick
- 4 large bananas, peeled and cut in half
- 8 wooden skewers, chopsticks, or popsicle sticks
- 1/2 cup milk or dark chocolate chips
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- Dye-free sprinkles
- Coconut flakes
- Crushed graham crackers
- Crushed nuts
- Crushed pretzels
- Hemp seeds
- Carefully skewer each banana piece with a stick, and place desired toppings in shallow bowls.
- In a separate shallow bowl, combine the chocolate chips and coconut oil. Heat in microwave for 30-60 seconds, stirring halfway through, until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Use a spoon to drizzle the melted chocolate all over the bananas, then sprinkle with your desired toppings.
- Place chocolate coated bananas on a parchment lined baking sheet and freeze for 2-3 hours, up to overnight.