Lasagna Rolls are a fun take on a classic lasagna! Who can resist them? Having your own roll is like having your own personal cheesy, saucy, and delicious lasagna!
When our co-founder, Catherine, was growing up, one of her favorite things her mom made was lasagna. It was always a special dinner when she made it. Now that Catherine is a mom herself, she loves making lasagna for her own family. It’s a hearty and healthy dish that turns any meal into a special occasion. Recently, she wanted to send the kids to school with some for lunch. She decided to play around a bit and make these lasagna rolls.
They’re really fun for kids because the lasagnas are individual portions and kids feel special when they get anything that is their “own”. They’re also great for mom and dad because they fit snugly in your little one’s lunchbox without making a mess. The best part about this dish? It’s got carbohydrates, vegetables, protein, and dairy so you know your family is eating a balanced meal all in one dish!
Of course, this recipe can also be made into a classic layered lasagna instead of rolls. More detailed instructions are below, but essentially instead of rolling you just layer the lasagna sheets. It’s super simple and a fun cooking activity do you with your kids whether you make rolls or layered!
This recipe is great because it includes a veggie in it, and we’re always trying to get vegetables in our kids’ diets. This lasagna is a great way to do it! You can use cooked spinach, broccoli, or even zucchini! Have your little ones help you roll up the lasagna sheets and make their “own” meal. They’ll be so excited when it comes out of the oven!
- 10 lasagna noodles (one extra in case one tears while boiling)
- 1 egg
- 16 oz ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tsp Italian herbs
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup cooked and finely chopped spinach and/or broccoli
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Cook lasagna noodles in salted water 2 minutes less than package directions call for and rinse with cold water.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg, ricotta, 1/4 cup parmesan, italian herbs, salt, 1/2 cup mozzarella, and broccoli or spinach to combine.
- Place 1/4 cup of the marinara sauce on the bottom of a 9×11 inch baking dish.
- Spread 1/3 cup of the ricotta mixture on each lasagna noodle, covering the sheet and roll up jelly roll style.
- Place the lasagna rolls seam side down in the baking dish and top with remaining marinara sauce and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and continue to cook until cheese is golden brown and bubbly, about 15 minutes.