Mexican Egg and Cheese Quesadillas are a filling and healthy breakfast to get your day started on the right foot!
We’re trying to create more fun for our families at breakfast time. Even though we’re always in a rush to get to work and school, surprising your family with a new recipe first thing in the morning keeps things fresh and exciting. So we went to our One Potato pantry and came up with this Mexican Egg and Cheese Quesadilla with the items you should have on hand. It was a huge hit!
These Mexican Egg and Cheese Quesadillas put smiles on our gang’s faces this week and making them didn’t require a special trip to the grocery. We usually have all of the ingredients on hand, so it’s easy to throw them together — especially when we don’t have a lot of time.
We love that the kids get tons of protein, dairy, and carbohydrates to give them a big morning energy boost. And not only do they love eating these quesadillas, but the fact that they can hold and dunk them in salsa, sour cream, or guacamole gives new meaning to the term morning dip!
This recipe is one of the easiest, most delicious vegetarian breakfasts you could possibly make! Melty cheese that gets crispy on the edges, protein-packed black beans, and eggs all in one? How could it get better than that!?
Mexican Egg & Cheese Quesadilla
- 4 large eggs, whisked
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/4 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup cheese (Mexican cheese blend, mozzarella or cheddar), grated
- Whisk the eggs and salt in a bowl, Stir in the cilantro.
- Place 1 tsp of oil in a 9-inch pan over medium heat, coating the bottom of the pan (make sure to use a pan that is at least slightly larger than your tortilla).
- Pour in 1/2 of the whisked eggs, tilting the pan to spread them across evenly.
- Let the omelette cook for 20 seconds, sprinkle the beans on top then let it cook for another 20 seconds. Using your spatula, gently to go along the edges of the omelette, lifting them away from the pan to loosen.
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp of cheese on top of the omelette, place one tortilla on top of the egg and cheese, and flip it onto a plate, tortilla side down.
- Slide the omelette, tortilla side-down, back into the pan. Sprinkle another 2 tbsp of cheese on top of the egg and place another tortilla on top to cover.
- Continue to cook the quesadilla for 1 minute, pressing down lightly with a spatula to help melt the cheese, then flip the quesadilla to cook the other side for an additional 30 seconds or until cheese melts and the tortilla is golden.
- Cut into wedges and serve with salsa.