Recently, our co-founder, Catherine, bought a nice beef tenderloin from a local butcher shop for dinner. Have you ever heard a 4-year-old scream, “MORE STEAK”? Well, that was what Catherine’s daughter, Gemma, was declaring after she finished her first serving. It’s proof to me that just because Mommy and Daddy may not really eat a certain food often that the little ones won’t enjoy it.
The funniest part of this whole experience for her was watching my husband, the occasional vegetarian, sharing — and loving — a tender, juicy and flavorful steak with his little girl. It just goes to show that sometimes it’s the little ones who are the good influence on their parents and that food, like love, knows no boundaries.
And don’t forget the sides! There’s something about a beef and potatoes pairing. We love serving this tenderloin with Mascarpone Mashed Potatoes or Crispy Smashed Potatoes and some sort of roasted veggie like broccoli or asparagus. It makes for a really nice well rounded meal.
Pan-Seared Beef Tenderloin
- 1 lb beef tenderloin, cut into 4 filets
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Lightly sprinkle each fillet with salt on all sides.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large sauté pan over medium/high heat. Sear each side of the steak for 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from the stove, place in the oven and cook for 8 minutes for medium rare and 10 minutes for medium rare.*
- Remove fillets from the pan and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.