One Potato’s cofounder, Catherine, created this peach cake recipe with her son, Kenya, when he was 6 and it’s still one of their favorites to make. This Peach Snack Cake made with fresh peaches is perfect for a summertime snack, dessert, or even breakfast since it’s not super sweet!
Catherine says that when Kenya wanted to cook when he was younger, it wasn’t her leading the show and telling him what goes into the recipe, rather it was all about what he wanted and how he sees it all coming together. On the weekend this peach cake came to fruition, he told Catherine and her husband that he wanted to make a cake comprised of apples, flour, a LOT of baking soda, milk, and honey. She told Kenya that apples weren’t in season yet and suggested he try peaches instead. He liked the idea.
Catherine really wanted him to have a chance at success, so she suggested he add an egg, a touch of vanilla, and some baking powder. He agreed and said they would work for his recipe. No one was expecting much, but when the cake finally came out of the oven smelling richly of golden brown sugar and sweet peaches, Catherine’s whole family tore into it without so much as allowing it to cool.
Totally inspired, Catherine remade Kenya’s Peach Cake recipe a few more times, making minor adjustments here and there, but leaving his basic recipe the same. It’s super simple to make and perfect for a light dessert or afternoon snack. With peaches being prime right now, we’re making this Peach Cake once a week and it’s beyond delicious.
Peach Snack Cake
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp brown sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 peach, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, milk, honey, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, egg, and vanilla.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined, and fold in the peaches.*
- Pour batter into a greased and parchment lined 9 x 9-inch square or 9-inch round pan and top with thinly sliced peaches and sprinkle with remaining tablespoon of brown sugar. Bake 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.