If there’s one food that always brings us back to our childhood, it’s strawberry shortcake. These Peach & Strawberry Shortcakes are the perfect twist of classic meets delicious. The combination of strawberries and peaches brings this family favorite to an entirely new level!
During the winter months, we find ourselves dreaming of juicy, colorful fruit that only grace our farmers market in the warmer months of summer. Nectarines, melons, apricots, figs, berries of all kinds… and of course, peaches and strawberries! When the vendors start bringing out these fruits at the beginning of the season, we can’t help but get giddy. As soon as we get home, we start scheming which fruits to eat first and what recipes to make with them. And let us say, this recipe did NOT disappoint.
Our co-founder, Catherine, bit into a strawberry that she bought at the farmers’ market this past weekend and it was so perfectly ripe, the juice dripped right down her chin. That is the kind of strawberry you want to use for these fluffy shortcakes. Combined with soft, melt-in-your-mouth peaches, that are also in season right now, these Peach & Strawberry Shortcakes are pure heaven.
Catherine made some recently as a treat for my parents and the kids one afternoon. Everyone lined up in front of her with their plates held out as she assembled each shortcake for them, topping half a shortcake with naturally sweet fruit, followed by a dollop of honey yogurt which created the perfect summertime treat.
Peach & Strawberry Shortcakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup unstalted butter, cold and cubed
- 3/4 cup whole milk
Peach & Strawberries
- 1 peach pitted and diced
- 1 cup strawberries, stemmed and quartered
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place the first 4 ingredients into a food processor and combine.
- Add the cold butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Place the mixture in a bowl, make a well in the center, and pour in the milk. With a fork, slowly stir until the ingredients are just combined.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead about 5 times.
- Pat the dough out into a rectangle and cut out about eight 3-inch rounds using a circular cookie cutter or the rim of a glass.*
- Place the rounds on a sheet pan, bake for 17 -19 minutes and set aside to cool.
- In a separate bowl, combine the peaches and strawberries.
- In another bowl, mix the yogurt, vanilla and honey.**
- Cut shortcake in half through the middle, place a large spoonful of fruit mixture in the center, a heaping of yogurt honey sauce and top with the remaining shortcake half.