This Roast Chicken with Caramelized Lemons, Cherry Tomatoes and Olives has quickly become one of my trusted, tried and true dinner entrees for a plethora of reasons. It’s super simple (hello only 5 ingredients and only one pan) and incredibly delicious. This is one of the best Roast Chicken recipes you’ll try this week!
All I can say is, thank goodness for family favorites. You know, the dishes you can count on to delight your crew even if you wind up making it several times in a week.
Whenever I make this roasted chicken recipe, my whole family fights tooth and nail for every last little cherry tomato and olive, whose flavors get insanely rich from all the caramelizing in the sauté pan. Who “got more tomatoes and olives” has become such an issue in my house that I’ve started adding an extra handful of each beyond what the recipe calls for — which is actually great because I’ve found that the more you add the better this dish gets!
If you think this recipe is tasty right out of the oven, just wait until you try it on day two. You will start hoping there’s enough for leftovers every time you make it, as the flavors come together even more and the chicken stays moist and juicy under the skin. Mentioning the skin, I had no idea how much my kids adored crispy skin until I made this dish for the first time. I usually try to avoid eating skin and remove it because it’s not the healthiest, but let’s be honest, it’s pretty much the best part.
Also, to put it simply… The taste of caramelized lemons….are you kidding me??!!
If these aren’t reasons enough to convince you to make this Roast Chicken with Caramelized Lemons, Cherry Tomatoes, and Olives than just the blessing of only having to clean up one pan after dinner, instead of an entire sinkful of them, which will only add to the post-meal smile that will be on your face.
Roast Chicken with Caramelized Lemons, Cherry Tomatoes and Olives
- 1 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 4 chicken breasts, bone in and skin on*
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 8-10 thyme stems
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Heat the oil in an oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry, make sure they are very dry, and sprinkle the top with the salt.
- Place the chicken breasts, skin side down, in the heated oil and sear for 5 minutes, or until skin is crisp and golden brown.
- Flip the chicken over. Add the lemon, olives, tomatoes and thyme to the skillet and transfer to the oven.
- Roast for 25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.