Does your family love spaghetti and meatballs as much as ours? If you ask my girls their favorite meal, 9 out of 10 times they will say spaghetti and meat balls. When I told them I was making their classic go-to meal in muffin tins it totally blew their minds. Not only are these Spaghetti and Meatballs Muffins incredibly kid friendly, but a playful combo for adults too.
I start by making the juicy meatballs filled with lightly dried basil, parsley, and roasted garlic. I give them a light sauté to bring out the flavors even more before popping them into the spaghetti nests with just a touch of marinara sauce. You can also make the meatballs with ground beef or even vegetarian meat substitute.
Once they have baked for about 20 minutes or until golden, I top them with mozzarella cheese, pop them back in the oven for 5 minutes, and once removed start to salivate at the spaghetti crisping up just on the edges and gooey cheese all over the top. Now you know what I mean about the girls’ excitement seeing these beautiful little nests pop out of the oven.
Want to make a recipe that will blow your friends and family away? Whip up a batch of these Spaghetti and Meatball Muffins which will quickly be added to your weekly rotation!
Spaghetti and Meatball Muffins
- 1/2 pound ground turkey, light or dark meat
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, whisked and divided
- 1/3 pound spaghetti
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup mozzerella cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place first 9 ingredients (using only 1 egg whisked) in a bowl and mix to thoroughly combine.
- Using a tablespoon or small ice cream scoop, roll 1 tablespoon of turkey mixture into balls.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat and cook the turkey meatballs for 5 minutes or until golden on the outside.
- Boil the spaghetti, al dente according to package directions, drain, toss with 1 tbsp olive oil and cool thoroughly.
- Toss the spaghetti and remaining whisked egg in a bowl to combine.
- Divide the spaghetti between 12 regular muffins cups (about 1/4 cup each) and press down to make nests.
- Place a meatball into each spaghetti nest, top with 1 tablespoon marinara sauce and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove spaghetti nests from oven, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of mozzarella cheese, and bake for 5 minutes or until pasta starts to become golden and cheese has fully melted.
- Sprinkle with reserved parsley and serve.