Want a gluten-free, healthy weeknight recipe that’s as packed with vibrant Asian flavors as it is a ton of textures? Stir-Fried Chicken in Lettuce Cups is a total family-friendly mealtime find. When you feel like you’ve been consuming too many carbs, this is a great choice that’s still satisfying.
We also love to eat the Stir-Fried Chicken filling straight out of the bowl with a little brown rice on the side, which makes for a simple leftover lunch as well.
Here at One Potato, so much of the art of getting kids to eat is incorporating as much fun as possible, so that they will be more open to eating foods that normally might be outside of their comfort zone.
Most kids love eating with their hands, so we try to devise lots of new spins on recipes for things they can hold easily in their little mitts. Burritos, burgers, muffins, and even these Stir-Fried Chicken in Lettuce Cups always go over well.
Salad may be a tough sell for some little ones, but these lettuce cups are kid-friendly and a whole new way for them of looking at leafy greens. They’re crunchy, and in combination with the stir-fried chicken with herbs and a slightly sweet sauce, it’s really something special.
Stir-Fried Chicken Lettuce Cups
- 8 bibb or iceberg lettuce cups
- 1 lb ground chicken or turkey
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, any color, chopped
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Combine soy sauce, honey, and cilantro in a bowl and set aside.
- Using a large saute pan, cook the onion in 1 tbsp of oil over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken or turkey to the pan and saute for an additional 7 minutes or until cooked through.
- Stir in the soy sauce mixture, salt and cook for 2 minute or until juices evaporate.
- Serve in lettuce cups (to eat then just roll the lettuce around the stir fried chicken and eat them like a burrito).