Strawberry Lemon Hand Pies are a perfect hand-held treat! Filled with juicy strawberries and just a touch of lemon juice, this easy-to-make dessert is a satisfying treat any time of day.
Strawberry Lemon Hand Pies are a simple and fun treat to make with your kids. They’re the perfect hand-held treated that is also super delicious! Kids love helping cut out the shapes from the pie dough and filling them up with the tasty strawberry mixture.
Strawberry Lemon Hand Pies have everything you love about pie – delicious fruit filling and golden brown crust – in a handheld version, which is great for little ones! We love the ease of not having to slice a piece of pie and just being able to grab one of these for a quick mid-day treat. Anytime you’re trying to figure out what to do with extra strawberries, this recipe should definitely be on your list!
This recipe is great for a crowd too. If you’re planning on having a backyard BBQ anytime soon, you should 100% make these! They’re great because they can be made ahead of time and frozen so when everyone is headed over, all you have to do is pop them straight from the freezer into the oven and enjoy the gathering!
Strawberry Lemon Hand Pies
- 3/4 cup fresh strawberries, tops removed and sliced
- 1/4 cup strawberry preserves
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 package pie dough or homemade dough
- 1 large egg, whisked
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- Toss the first 4 ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Roll pie crust on a parchment-lined or floured surface.
- Take one 4-inch round cookie cutter (or the top of a drinking glass) and cut out circles out of the pie crust.
- Place 1 heaping tablespoon of the strawberry mixture in the center of half of the cut outs. To prevent the juice from seeping out the sides of the pastries add less of the juice and more of the pieces of strawberry.
- Dip your finger in a bowl of water and brush just the outside border of each cut out. Place a cut out of dough over the strawberry mixture and press to adhere or use the tines of a fork to press and seal the dough to each other.
- Transfer the hand pies to the prepared baking sheet.
- Continue to make the remaining hand pies.
- Use a toothpick to poke 3-4 holes in the top of each turnover and brush with the yolk wash.*
- Bake for 15 minutes, until crust is golden brown. Allow to cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes and then serve.
- Strawberry Lemon Hand Pies can be placed on baking sheets in the freezer for one hour and then placed in labeled containers for freezing up to 3 months. When ready to bake, bake for 20 minutes in oven at 425° F.