If your kids are anything like ours, then they are absolutely ravenous during the summer. It seems like most days we have barely finished cleaning up from breakfast when they’re back in the kitchen asking “when’s lunch?” They rummage through the fridge and pantry looking for snacks, gulp down every ounce of water in sight, and leave the kitchen looking like the Tazmanian Devil lives here with all his brothers. Please tell me this sounds familiar, and we’re not the only ones!
Summer Snack Platter to the rescue! After we go to the farmers market on Sunday, prep various ingredients so that you can pull together a snack platter at any moment. This is a great way to have nutritious snacks available to the kids all day, and it makes a great party addition, too! We love to add Watermelon Pizzas, Rainbow Yogurt Popsicles, and veggies with hummus to our snack platters.
Summer Snack Platter
- Fresh fruit (berries, melons, kiwi, oranges, apples)
- Fresh veggies (cucumbers, sugar snap peas, bell peppers, carrots, etc.)
- Pickled olives
- Peanut butter
- Ice pops
- Fruit leather
- Hummus and other dips
- Arrange the large items first to anchor the platter.
- Chop the fruits and veggies into bite sized pieces and arrange decoratively around the board along with the remaining ingredients.
- Contrast is key. Try to place dark foods next to light foods to add variety.