These Vegan Whipped Coconut Sweet Potatoes are the easiest addition to your holiday table that everyone will love!
Made with coconut milk and dried coconut sprinkled on top like a light dusting of snow, these Vegan Whipped Coconut Sweet Potatoes went over BIG when we tested them with our families, who deemed it perfect for our upcoming holiday feast. Don’t be put off by the fact they are vegan, no one will ever know the difference.
We love the combination of coconut and sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are totally lovely on their own, but trying to make them fluffy without adding milk or cream is a tall order. As an attempted solution, we started mixing naturally creamy coconut milk into baked mashed sweet potatoes. Not only was the resulting taste incredible, but the potatoes whipped up delightfully fluffy. The dish was always a favorite with all of our munchkins when they were babes and it still remains a favorite dish.
This Whipped Coconut Sweet Potatoes recipe is basically the grown-up version of a kid food classic. A healthier version of traditional whipped sweet potatoes, we make them with a touch of maple syrup to boost the sweetness, a hint of cinnamon for that unmistakable holiday flavor, and a sprinkling of coconut “snow”, all resulting in the ultimate holiday sweet potato side dish. If you’re looking for more sweet potato recipes for your holiday table, try these Sweet Potatoes in Orange Cups or Sweet Potato Cakes!
Vegan Whipped Coconut Sweet Potatoes
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, warmed
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Unsweetened coconut flakes, optional
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Poke holes in the sweet potatoes and place on a foil lined baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour, or until fork tender. Allow to cool slightly.
- Peel the skin off the sweet potatoes. It will easily peel off using your fingertips.
- Place the sweet potato pulp, coconut milk, maple syrup, ground cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Beat with an electric mixer, or in the bowl of a stand mixer, until thoroughly combined and fluffy.
- Sprinkle with coconut if desired.